Affordable general dentistry treatment is now available in Varsity Lakes. We all know the world looks a little brighter from behind a smile. But smiling does a lot more than simply suggest confidence and happiness to onlookers, it actually has tangible physical benefits. At Varsity Smiles we aim to help you achieve a natural smile with general dentistry treatment–one that will give you a reason to smile more often.
Composite fillings are another general dentistry treatment which are a better environmentally friendly material, 100% free from toxic mercury. The fillings do not change in response to temperature changes in the mouth. The composite filling also provides a visually preferred look being exactly colour matched to the previous colour of the teeth.
Composite fillings are a great way to repair minor damage. If you have extensive damage to your mouth, you may require inlays or onlays.
WHY CHOOSE COMPOSITE FILLINGS
Remove and replace old amalgam fillings with modern composite filling material. Traditional amalgam fillings are composed of mercury. Some people believe that this material can be harmful and leak into the mouth when chewing. Amalgam fillings are also a less desired treatment for several reasons.
- By being packed into the tooth there is no complete seal, this means decay can sneak into the tooth underneath the filling.
- The amalgam material contracts and expands in response to temperature changes in the mouth, this can cause the natural tooth to crack.
- They are less visually appealing as they do not blend with the original colour of the smile.
If you have chipped or broken-down teeth, our dentists may be able to use a crown or bridge to restore your dentition and smile. A crown is made of porcelain material, such as pressed ceramic or zirconia. This crown is cemented to the tooth to help in improving strength, function, and appearance. Each crown is tailored specifically to fit each individual tooth. We provide other general dentistry treatments also as mentioned further on this page.
WHAT DO CROWNS DO?
- Helps protect worn or cracked tooth
- Improves appearance or alignment of a tooth/ teeth
- Re-enforce a tooth that has previously performed root canal treatment.
- Provide strength to teeth that have previously had decay
Once a tooth is strengthened by a crown, its full function is restored and helps occlusion (biting and chewing). A crown can enhance your smile.
DENTAL BRIDGE – Literally used to ‘bridge’ the gap left by missing teeth.
WHAT DOES A DENTAL BRIDGE DO?
- Can replace one or several missing teeth
- Helps prevent further tooth loss
- Helps prevent further tooth movement
Bridges and crowns are both individually crafted and tailored to fit each specific smile. They should produce a visually seamless look and work well with the mechanics of the mouth.
A root canal treatment is performed when the internal pulp chamber of the tooth becomes inflamed or infected. An inflamed or infected tooth can cause severe pain and swelling. There are various reasons why this occurs such as decay extending to the pulp chamber, a crack, extensive deep restorations and trauma to the tooth. This allows bacteria to the internal pulp chamber causing infection. In order to salvage the tooth, root canal treatment can be performed.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF ROOT CANAL TREATMENT
- Severe tooth ache
- Inflammation of the gums surrounding painful tooth
- Sensitivity to hot and cold
- A colour change of tooth
- Tender to bite on
HOW OUR DENTAL CLINIC CAN HELP?
Often the patient is distressed and in considerable pain. A prompt response from one of our dentists can relieve the distress and pain.
WHAT WE DO
Treatment involves the removal of the inflamed tissue, full preparation of the canal system and obturation (filling). This process ensures that bacteria are prevented from multiplying in the canal spaces. Prognosis is usually very good and success rate are generally high.
WISDOM TEETH – Wisdom teeth removal is a common procedure that eliminates pain and discomfort caused by impaction or development if wisdom teeth.
DO I NEED MY WISDOM TEETH REMOVED?
Wisdom teeth can pose a variety of problems, whether it’s an acute issue or one we foresee further down the track. In many cases, there is not enough space at the rear of the jaw for your wisdom teeth to erupt, causing the teeth to become impacted and wedged together. Wisdom tooth extraction is also part of general dentistry treatment. It is recommended to remove your wisdom teeth for the following reasons:
- Infection: When an impacted wisdom tooth starts to push through the gums, an infection can start around the top of the tooth. Infection and inflammation (swollen red gums) can cause pain, swelling and jaw stiffness.
- Crowding: A wisdom tooth may push nearby teeth out of their correct position; however, they are not believed to be associated with crowding of the lower front teeth.
- Cysts: Sacks of fluid called cysts can form around the tooth and may displace the tooth. The cysts can destroy bone and damage surrounding teeth and gums.
- Damage to nearby molars: An impacted wisdom tooth may keep pushing against the molars next to it. This often leads to serious damage to both teeth.
To Note: Any dental procedure carries risks which also may depend on your general health. This will be discussed with you prior to any dental intervention. Before proceeding you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner such as your dentist or your doctor.
If you would like to learn more about how Varsity Smiles can help you, or to book an appointment, please contact us. Varsity Smiles is conveniently located on the corner of the Christine Avenue & Bermuda St and is only a short commute from Varsity Lakes, Robina, Mudgeeraba, Reedy Creek, Burleigh Waters, Burleigh Heads, Miami and Mermaid Waters.